Well the first question is: Will someone create a Video Editing Application for the iPad for $9.99 (is that a limit?). I think that Apple will: a scaled down version of iMovie or something. Or can you perform the editing by means of an online editing service like JayCut (by the way – what ever happened to JumpCut?).
Next Question: Can the hardware do it? Lets take a look at the specifications:
- Processor: 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
- Capacity: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
- Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- USB through Dock Connector
It has been sometime since I have edited on my 1.6GHz Single Processor G5 PowerMac. Is this customized 1GHz A4 processor any better? I am sure it could handle a bit of DV work with minimal effects. Watching a compressed HD movie (not > 4K) won’t be a problem according to the features.
But that is not the problem. The problem is the maximum of 64GB Flash Drive – where would you store the files? Could they be accessed through bluetooth, wi-fi or the Dock Connector? Maybe.
I am not an expert in comparing the hardware of the Apple iPad to another device of similar processing capabilities. Also I don’t even know what kind of OS will be running on the Apple iPad – the same as the iPhone?
One thing is for certain is that the possibility is not far off.
Yet for now the iPad could be a great interface for specific applications already running on a MPB, Mac Pro or other computer. I for one am looking forward to an app that will provide touchscreen interface controls to Apple Color.
What do you think? Is is possible? Now, in the future?